Soft Sediments Sampler
This device allows field geologists to take oriented samples from soft sediments. Sampled material is confined in one inch cylindrical plastic containers which can easily be labeled and transported.
- Designed to sample sediments that are too soft for common rock drilling methods
- Fast and easy handling
- No water, gas or batteries needed
- Attached bubble level ensures proper alignment during sampling
- Rugged and long lasting for use in the field
- Easy to transport
- Standard plastic sample cylinders in inch core format are compatible with standard paleomagnetic equipment
- Sediment transfer into sample cylinders by hand or with standard caulking gun
- Compatible with widely used orientation head for magnetic and sun compass readings
- Comes as complete kit with some spare parts. Extra spare parts are available
Principles of operation
- Hammer sampler into outcrop with rubber mallet.
- Switch plastic head for orientation head and take reading.
- Remove sampler from outcrop.
- Attach sample container in the front and small plastic head at the back. Push sampled material into container either by hand or caulking gun.
- Detach filled sample container, close the lid and label it with pen.
Example of sampler's use in the field.